Membership in the APPD
Membership in the Association of Pediatric Program Directors is through pediatric residency programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and those hospitals in Canada approved by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons to provide residency training programs in Pediatrics.
Individuals are added each year to their program's membership by the Pediatric Residency Director. If you would like to become a member of the APPD, please contact the Residency Program Director or Coordinator at your institution and inquire whether you could be included in the institutional membership. If that is not an option, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional membership information.
Active participation in the APPD is one of the best investments you can make with your limited time. APPD is a network of colleagues, all of whom are facing daily the same issues you are. One of the unique advantages of APPD is the opportunity to do with others what you cannot do by yourself as a program director, department chair, associate director, or coordinator. The camaraderie and esprit de corps among pediatric program directors, department chairs, associate directors, and coordinators is a tremendous bonding influence and a source of welcomed support as the issues of the day are faced.
Benefits of Membership
The greatest benefits of APPD are in connections, networking and personal relationships. APPD serves you in your personal growth, career development, program improvement, and service to faculty, trainees, and the patients we all care for. There are also many tangible benefits including:
- Representation before national affiliates and regulatory organizations
- Special updates on important issues facing pediatric residency and fellowship programs
- Opportunity to provide input toward formulation of the APPD Official Position through surveys, forums, conference calls, discussion boards, etc.
- Access to the revamped APPD Share Warehouse where you may search for helpful information, as well as submit your own shared documents
- Participation in APPD educational programs
- Leadership opportunities and the chance to nominate colleagues/peers for leadership roles and awards
- Career development/Mentoring Program/promotions support
- Participation in coordinated and collaborative educational research through APPD LEARN (Longitudinal Educational Assessment Research Network)
- Opportunity to apply for APPD LEAD (Leadership in Educational Academic Development), focusing on organizational leadership, competency-based curriculum development, faculty development, residency and fellowship program administration, scholarship and career development
- Opportunity to apply for APPD LEAPES (Leadership in Empowerment for Advancing Educational Specialists), designed to enhance the knowledge, skills, and networking for Pediatric Graduate Medical Education Specialists who wish to gain expertise needed to guide the success of graduate medical education programs and advance their GME careers.
- Access to the APPD Member Directory where you may search for individuals by name, region and program (including viewing the complete APPD member roster from any program)
- Learning Communities
- Organization at the regional level
- Regular receipt of APPD communications (monthly APPD e-Bulletin and other topical emails)
- Notification through frequent email blasts of breaking news and issues of importance to pediatric residency programs
- Membership in a community of educators with access and networking opportunities with others in the field
- Availability of discussion boards/online communities on the APPD website for communication with other members
- With prior approval, complimentary posting of "Positions Available" and/or "Meetings of Interest" on APPD website
- APPD mobile app for members - Coming Summer 2021!
Dues for the 2021-2022 year
The APPD membership dues year is from July 1 - June 30 ; 5 membership tier options are available.
Programs are strongly encouraged to add all key educational faculty/personnel.
This includes, but is not limited to: global health educators, QI specialists, vice chairs of education, fellowship program directors and coordinators, all associate program directors, etc. Please note that we have a membership category specifically for the DIO (Designated Institute Official) at your institution. DIO membership is included in the Basic dues amount.
Basic dues covers the following 8 core personnel:
1. Pediatric Residency Program Director
2. Department Chair
3. Designated Institute Official
4. Associate Program Director
5. Fellowship Program Director
6. Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator
7. Vice Chair of Education (NEW)
8. Fellowship Program Coordinator (NEW)
All Chief Residents, current and rising, may be added without affecting the program's dues.
Regional Dues (Mandatory)
In addition to APPD dues, we are collecting regional dues from all regions except Southeast. Regional dues amounts vary by region and are being collected from each program for purposes specified by your region.
Please contact your regional chairs if you have questions (see Council of Regional Chairs information on the Regions page).
Do you have more membership questions?
See our FAQ page for additional information.