The Department of Pediatrics is seeking a residency program director to be responsible for the administration of our accredited categorical pediatric residency. The program director is also accountable for the pediatric interface of residents in our accredited combined internal medicine-pediatrics residency program. The program director will report to the chair of pediatrics, and work closely with the associate program directors, division directors, and other institutional leaders to advance pediatric graduate medical education, assuring continuing accreditation and educational excellence of the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita’s (KUSM-W) pediatric residency program.
This position is 0.50 FTE for the residency director role.
- MD/DO Degree
- Kansas Licensure
- Board certified in Pediatrics
- At least three years of documented education and/or administrative experience in educational programming or leadership
- Previous service as an associate program director in an accredited categorical pediatric residency program.
- Evidence of incorporation of scholarship into academic clinical practice
- Demonstrated excellence in clinical care and proficiency in the teaching of students and residents.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collegially within a diverse environment, role-modeling professionalism.
- Develop innovative educational experiences to prepare residency program graduates for the current and future practice of academic, general, and subspecialty pediatrics in accordance with the needs of the community and the mission of the sponsoring institution and residency program
- Provide administrative oversight of the residency clinical and didactic curriculum to ensure quality and compliance with all Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), American Board of Pediatrics (ABP), university, and hospital requirements
- Maintain American Board of Pediatrics certification eligibility for all residents
- Lead annual recruitment and onboarding for the categorical pediatric residency program
- Appoint the Clinical Competency Committee (CCC) for the residency program which will advise the program director
- Oversee individualized learning plans for residents and ensure that each resident completes the ACGME required residency education in addition to appropriate individualized curriculum as per their learning needs and career plans and meet with individual residents to review individual milestones and overall progress every semiannually
- Review and respond as appropriate to hospital notification forms and critical incident reports regarding clinical quality, safety and/or service excellence concerns involving residents
- Work with the director of medical education at Wesley Medical Center (WMC) to resolve concerns and promote successful integration of the residency and residents with WMC
- Participate in scholarly activities
- Select, mentor, and supervise chief residents in their educational and administrative role in the program
- Appoint the Program Evaluation Committee who will advise the program director through program oversight
- Serve as a member of the KUSM-W Graduate Medical Education Committee
- Represent the residency program on the Pediatric Executive Committee at WMC
- Oversee residency program budget in partnership with the Wichita Center for Graduate Medical Education (WCGME) office
- Oversee resident advising system; monitor resident well-being and adjust the systems of practice and individual resident schedules as needed to ensure timely support for resident wellness
- Advise division directors, associate chairs of education, and chair of pediatrics on selection of faculty members to participate in residency program education and recruitment
- Be a liaison for the Pediatric Interest Group to the KUSM-W pediatric residency program