The Director of Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI):
- works under the guidance of Diversity Equity and Inclusion leaders to support the advancement of the diversity strategy of Lifespan by creating and managing programs.
- works across the system to support the organizational DEI platform initiatives and tactics.
- drives actions ensuring alignment with corporate business goals the philosophy and objectives of the Office of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and departmental processes systems and programs.
- supports Lifespan Patients Providers People and Purpose.
- Oversees the Diversity Programs in collaboration with Lifespan system DEI office.
- Co-leads the Lifespan DEI Council.
- Administers and oversees the delivery of career development programs.
- Partners with internal departments including but not limited to Human Resources to support leader development to incorporate DEI into departmental goals and to assist in the development of inclusive succession plans to support strategic business objectives.
- Designs and develops best in class change management strategies to build a pipeline of diverse leaders across the organization.
- Leads and facilitates the development and implementation of the organizational diversity equity and inclusion plan in support of strategic business objectives.
- Partners with senior leadership to identify immediate and medium- to long-term successors and ensures that succession plans are in place. Develops competency gap analysis and assists with the creation and implementation of individual development plans for potential successors.
- Manages the process to identify and retain high potential associates and establishes a fully integrated leadership talent pipeline. Guides and monitors the progress of high potentials and identifies quality developmental opportunities.
- Champions leadership talent movement/rotations across business units creating a mobile portfolio of talent mindset.
- Consults with cross-functional teams during the development and implementation of major initiatives to ensure equitable and inclusive practices are being considered.
- Offers internal resource/consulting services in the identification development and/or introduction of high-quality cost-effective leadership and diversity interventions to meet business needs.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships within Lifespan.
- Provides ongoing regular reports to affiliate and organizational Presidents the Lifespan Chief Diversity Equity and Inclusion Officer and the CEO Council.
- Partners with the clinical teams to identify and determine ways to enhance the organization’s ability to attract retain and develop a diverse nursing and physician population.
- Partners with Marketing Community Health and Equity and other departments to represent Lifespan at pertinent community events; city state and regional councils; boards; professional organizations; businesses and educational institutions.
- Partners with associates leaders and departments on Lifespan initiatives related to cultural competency equity models and health care disparities.
- Establishes ongoing relationships with organizations and associations (city state and regional) that support diversity equity and inclusion; including vendors, suppliers, advocacy groups and other community and civic organizations.
- Ensures financial performance through the development and monitoring of the operating and staffing budgets.
- Engages in professional growth opportunities to remain current on leadership talent management change management program development and DEI best practices.
- Promotes a culture of quality and safety by adherence to policy procedures and plans that are in place to prevent workplace injury violence or adverse outcomes to associates and patients.
- Creates a caring and healing environment that keeps the patient and customer at the center of care throughout their experience at Lifespan following the principles of our interdisciplinary care delivery system.
- Identifies barriers to DEI success and provides input into the development of strategies and initiatives to address these barriers.
- Maintains systems to track measure and report on diversity initiatives and programs to ensure compliance and completion.
- Explores diversity issues by reviewing publications benchmarking state-of-the art thinking forming focus groups; conducting surveys requesting internal and external input from those in a position to contribute and measuring diversity tension.
- Responsible for developing sustained relationships with regional leaders, teams and groups.
- Assists in providing recommendation on strategic diversity goals by gathering pertinent business financial and operations information; identifying and evaluating trends and options; choosing a course of action; defining objectives and evaluating outcomes.
- Responsible for compliance with organizational integrity through raising questions and promptly reporting actual or potential wrongdoing.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Humanities Administration Organizational Management Business or related field
Documented dedicated experience of four or more years working with issues of diversity equity and inclusion along with change management knowledge and skills. Documented experience of three or more years leading people or dedicated programs.
Ability to speak multiple languages desired.
- Works well with diverse groups of people at all levels of the organization and within the community.
- Demonstrates group facilitation skills.
- Demonstrates ability to train and educate others.
- Exhibits ability to develop education programs and presentations.
- Displays ability to research evaluate and analyze patient people and community data.
- Demonstrates ability and exhibits experience in utilizing and networking with internal departmental resources.
- Vision creativity and a passion for diversity work.
- Participative leadership style as well as the ability to collaborate well within teams and with individuals.
- Demonstrates strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrates ability to execute programs to completion with qualitative or quantitative outcomes.
- Demonstrates ability to build and sustain internal and external relationships.
- Holds self and others accountable to model excellence for all to see. For example demonstrates friendliness and courtesy effective communication that promotes belonging and authenticity delivered with first class service.
Lifespan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race color religion sex national origin age ethnicity sexual orientation ancestry genetics gender identity or expression disability protected veteran or marital status. Lifespan is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Corporate Headquarters USA : RI : Providence
VP Chief Diversity Equity and Inclusion Officer