On behalf of the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) and Children’s Wisconsin (CW), CareerPhysician, the leader in academic pediatric executive search, is pleased to announce the national search for outstanding candidates to serve as the next Chair of the Department of Pediatrics and Pediatrician-in-Chief. We are seeking a transformational leader with a demonstrated commitment to inclusive leadership, a clear vision for the future of a modern academic children’s health system and a proven track record of success in the organizational missions of Clinical Care, Education, Research, and Community Engagement. With an unmatched commitment to programmatic resources, we believe this position is in the Top 1% of legacy leadership roles available in academic pediatrics.
Candidates must hold an MD, DO, MD/PhD, or equivalent degree, Board Certification in Pediatrics and/or candidate’s pediatric subspecialty area of practice, and be eligible for permanent, unrestricted licensure in the state of Wisconsin. Candidates should possess academic leadership experience and accomplishment that would qualify them for MCW faculty appointment at the level of Professor.
Key Opportunity Highlights:
- As Pediatrician-in-Chief and the senior physician executive for Children’s Wisconsin, provide guidance to the largest nationally recognized academic pediatric multispecialty practice in Wisconsin across all missions, to all Non-Department of Pediatrics Divisions and to one of the nation’s leading Children’s Health Systems.
- As Chair, lead a vibrant Department of Pediatrics comprised of 19 clinical and 4 non-clinical divisions, 383 faculty members, 149 Advanced Practice Providers, 400+ residents and fellows, 16 ACGME-accredited subspecialty fellowship programs, 2021 NIH Funding: $11.9 million, 37 Active Federal Grants: $68.6 million.
- Programmatic growth fostered by seven (7) medical specialties included in US News Best Children’s Hospital Rankings: *Cancer *Cardiology *GI *Neurology *Pulmonary *Nephrology *Endocrinology
- New definitive agreement between MCW and CW provides a visionary platform for innovative growth and collaboration across the region.
- Opportunity to develop and refine the pediatric enterprise’s strategic and operational plans for advancing clinical care, quality improvement, patient safety and community engagement.
- Leverage strong institutional commitment and comprehensive resources to prioritize the recruitment, retention, and development of diverse, world-class faculty and staff.
- Facilitate an innovative pediatric research strategic plan in partnership with the Children’s Research Institute and the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Serve locally, nationally, and globally as the trusted external-facing physician leader for Children’s Wisconsin and the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Engage an outstanding philanthropic community with a long history of generosity in partnership with a proven Department of Advancement.
Medical College of Wisconsin
MCW is a private, health sciences academic institution located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. MCW consists of a School of Medicine with campuses in Milwaukee, Green Bay and central Wisconsin, a Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and a Pharmacy School. MCW is a major national research center ranking in the top third of U.S. medical schools in NIH funding and is the second largest research institution in Wisconsin.
Children’s Specialty Group
The Children’s Specialty Group (CSG) is a joint venture between Children’s Wisconsin and the Medical College of Wisconsin. With over 70 specialties and 675 physicians and APPs, CSG has an annual net patient revenue of ~$200M. Last year, CSG physicians and APPs had 220,000 outpatient visits at 13 regional care sites, 67,000 EDTC visits, over 9,000 admissions; and the CSG surgical team performed 17,500 cases.
Children’s Wisconsin is the largest provider of pediatric healthcare in the state, serving the children and families of Wisconsin – with more than 1.3 million annual connections with kids and families statewide, Children’s provides a wide range of care and support — everything from routine care to lifesaving advances and treatment options, foster care and adoption services, child advocacy, and an insurance plan. In 2021, Children’s had net patient revenues of $1.1 billion ($1.7 billion including other operating revenues) and provides the highest level of care through American College of Surgeons Level I Children’s Surgery Verification Center, Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, Diagnostic Imaging Center of Excellence, 72-bed Level IV NICU, Level IV Epilepsy Center, and a 72-bed PICU.
Located on the west side of beautiful Lake Michigan in Wisconsin, Milwaukee County is the population and cultural hub of a metro region of 1.5 million. Milwaukee is a big, bustling city with a friendly, small-town feel. A multi-cultural population rich in culinary and artistic tradition, a progressive downtown including theater, symphony, opera, ballet, popular music, a famous art museum, a variety of professional sports teams, and a multitude of outdoor recreation possibilities. Milwaukee has affordable housing of all types, excellent schools, well-regarded higher education, minimal traffic and offers a superb quality of life.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming workplace that includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. MCW believes that embracing human differences is critical to realizing the vision of a healthier world and recognizes that a healthy and thriving community starts from within. MCW strives to integrate human and social differences into MCW’s functioning, strategies and culture to create a diverse and equitable workplace. If you believe embracing individuality and working together makes us stronger, then MCW is the place for you. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MCW is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Nominations and applications, including current curriculum vitae and a cover letter stating qualifications and reasons for interest in the role, may be submitted to:
Wesley Millican, MBA, CEO and Physician Talent Officer, CareerPhysician
C/O Kerry Henry at Kerry@careerphysician.com.
All interactions will remain confidential, and no inquiries will be made without the consent of the applicant. We are dedicated to the principles of equity and diversity and particularly encourage those of diverse backgrounds to apply.